Sunday, August 23, 2009

Proof that I love to cook

Last night I pulled together a pantry meal -- you know, one of those surprisingly fabulous dinners you pull out your... cabinets ... when you just can't face the weekend crowd at the grocery store. It's called "Peasant Tortilla" in Julee Rosso's book, Great Good Food, but I've know it as Spanish Tortilla at places like Jaleo. It's way easy, beautiful on a plate, and makes me feel sophisticated because I imagine the other people joining me in savoring this very dish: They are sitting at a neighborhood bar in Spain, ordering tortillas to accompany lovely glasses of wine and chatting away, en Espanol.
Here is a my recipe, based very loosely on Rosso's. Once I get the hang of blogging, I'll start posting photos, too.

Ginny's version of Spanish Tortilla
1 potato, thinly sliced (the "thin" part is very important here)
4 whole eggs, 2 egg whites (please use free range, trust me on this)
1/2 an onion, again with the thin slices
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (I used cherry tomatoes from Monica's garden, thanks!)
1 clove garlic, chopped (smashing it changes the flavor, but you could go either way depending on how much time you have for chopping)
3/4 cup frozen peas
a handful of Greek olives, pitted and chopped
olive oil for the pan
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil at medium-high in a cast iron skillet that you can put in the oven (actually, use whatever you like, but I love the cast iron -- sister Jean, are you listening? I'm still using what you gave me 20-plus years ago!). Add the potatoes, arranging in overlapping circles from the outside in. While you let 'em brown on the bottom (use a spatula to peek), preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
Once the potatoes have browned, scatter all remaining ingredients except the eggs over the top (no, you haven't flipped them, just leave them in the pan the way you first arranged them). Whisk the eggs and eggwhites all together, then pour over the potatoes etc. Place the skillet in the oven until set, maybe 5 minutes.
When you plate this (don't you love that verb, "to plate"?), you can flip it so you see the lovely layers of browned potatoes,or you can leave it upright and see bright green peas and summer-red tomatoes rising up out of the eggs.
This makes enough for my dinner, the next morning's breakfast, and someone else's generous snack later in the day -- 3 to 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment