Saturday, August 29, 2009

God is in the [sandwich] details

A good sandwich is all about the condiments and additions. I have learned this from sandwich shop menus – among my favorites, the Sea Star on Chincoteague Island, Va. During a week-long vacation there, we treat ourselves to things like The Big Cheese and Super Sprout the first day, then make our own inspired creations the rest of the week. I’ve also cribbed from Whole Foods and Starbuck’s – they may be corporate but they’ve got some good ideas (send me local sandwich shop ideas, please!). Who says you can only get a cool sarnie (as Jamie Oliver calls it) from a shop? DIY.

First, forget about the main ingredient. You don’t need the roast beef, or turkey-n-swiss, or even egg salad. And even if you do choose these, focus on the accoutrements. If it were a salad, my nephew would call these “sinkers” – all the stuff that sinks to the bottom of the lettuce bowl. Cucumber chunks. Pitted olives. Roasted pine nuts. Raisins. Gather enough of these goodies and, as in so many other things (orchestras, for example), the sum of the whole becomes far greater than its parts. It becomes a Great Sandwich. Or, at least, Lunch.

This week’s triumph resulted from rooting around to find an “everything” bagel left from the bikers’ breakfast, which I smeared with humus made by the lovely Yahron, owner of Olive Tree foods.(Yahron runs a great falafel stand in Takoma Park, and sells his humus and other goodies at the co-op across the street).

Humus could be considered the Main Ingredient, but if you think about it, it’s just a spread. I jacked it up with some extra tahini I saw in the frig last time I went searching behind the milk carton. Olives spiked the flavor some more. Fresh tomatoes and thinly sliced cucumbers from the market upped the daily veggie quotient. And to top it all, I added my favorite sandwich enhancer, lifting the meal to sandwich-shop level: alfalfa sprouts. I must start growing these babies again, it really is so easy and their health factor is off the charts.

There you have it. I should have taken a picture. Still getting the hang of the whole blogging thing – maybe by the next food post I’ll remember the camera.

1 comment:

  1. The lack of picture problem isn't your newness to blogging, but b/c you made something so tasty that wouldn't wait around for the camera!

    ReplyDelete