Sunday, August 23, 2009

How I feel about gardening


The Writer's Almanac captures a little of the magic of growing a garden in a Barbara Crooker's poem, Vegetable Love. I love the secret caves of peppers and the plump pulp of tomatoes.
Picking sugar snaps not long ago, I wondered how we got from treasuring juicy, ripe, round, swelling, abundant peas and peppers and eggplants and tomatoes and melons, peaches and apples and berries -- all nice and fat -- to admiring thin, even emaciated women we call "slender." In the natural world, the only slender I want is maybe a willowy stalk of asparagus or a bunch of haricot vert.
That's my green pepper in the photo, still growing plump.

1 comment:

  1. I SO agree -- women and fruit should be ripe and full -- not shrunken, dehydrated, or skeletal.

    ReplyDelete