Monday, October 1, 2012

Mixing it up/cookies and work

This morning I woke up 20 minutes early. Instead of frittering it away amongst the week’s worth of newspapers piled up on my dining room table, or the pile of clean laundry that needs folding, I switched it up entirely.
 
I made cookies.
 
I can thank my kids for this, in two ways. One, they are the ones who taught me that any time is a good time to make cookies. My first lesson in this had more to do with 11 o’clock at night than 7:30 in the morning (By the time the cookies waft buttery chocolate through the house it’s the perfect time for a midnight snack).
 
Two, both kids are away in college, and one way I can connect with them is by sending care packages with a taste of home.
 
It really doesn’t take long to pull together a batch of cookies – 10 or 20 minutes, max, then the batter goes into the frig for baking later (I could have baked them, too, but there’s a limit to workplace flexibility and I did have to get out the door). Tomorrow, I’ll pack them up and send them off.
 
It’s one way to thank the kids for the many lessons they’ve offered, and hold onto them for whatever lessons they may offer next.
 
Speaking of which: I just read a great article about the new approach some members of Generation Y take to work, suggesting that, perhaps, we middle aged folks have more to learn. These young adults expect flexibility, autonomy and respect in the workplace – and despite their tenuous status as newbies, sometimes demand that they have it all. For their ambition, they get labeled "spoiled."
 
But wait! Flexibility? Respect? In the work place? Shouldn’t we all have those things? Like, the flexibility to make a batch of cookies before work?
 
Next time I’ll make a double batch and save some for myself.
 

2 comments:

  1. does this mean i'm getting cookies in the mail soon?? can't wait! all this fall weather is making me miss baking with you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep your eye on your mailbox! And yes, baking! I see major kitchen time in our future! ooxx

    ReplyDelete