Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bike or metro: good, bad and ugly

The last time I commuted by bike, I was still enthralled with the virtue of it: It’s healthy! It’s time-efficient! It’s free!

It’s the mantra of many bike commuters.

But this time, not so much.

I usually embrace even the gritty bits, admiring the symmetry of a neatly laid brick sidewalk, or the exaggerated color on a wall of graffiti. But this time I got stuck behind a noisy, exhaust-spewing construction vehicle on Ft. Totten Drive, passed several smelly trash trucks near the “transfer station,” aka the dump, and wound my way through streets dotted with orange cones and construction crews. There was one bright spot: when I stopped to check my tires, which were click-click-clicking after I rode through some broken glass (and yes, I pulled out a shard of glass I was lucky didn’t pierce the tube), a friendly biker stopped to see if I was okay, and we wound up riding together for a while, talking about puncture-proofing tires (he lines his with deflated extra tubes that fit between the inflated tube and the tire itself) and generally chit-chatting the ride away.

Biking is like that: some days it is all trash trucks and broken glass. Other days it is pleasant, park scenery and friendly encounters with unexpected companions. Sometimes it’s a mix. Either way, you wind up at your destination – and it’s still healthy! Time-efficient! And free!

Today, I took the bike to the metro station, then hopped on the train. I avoided the yarmulke-wearing guy who reads from what I am guessing is the Torah under his breath – that feels like such a private act and I thought I might be distracting to him – and instead sat next to the woman who was practicing Japanese letter-characters in what looked to be a child’s workbook. I am hoping I’ll get a seat on the crowded ride home. Because, like biking, metro can be many things: a slog through a jostling, surly crowd, an curious sojourn with a car full of interestingly diverse fellow travelers, or a mix of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment