Friday, November 2, 2012

Road trip



Speeding along the highway
Time slows down so
Everything is possible.

Between looking for the turnoff to I-77 and absorbing the spectacular view along I-40
Between the temptation of gas station Moon Pies (the idea much better than the taste), and balancing how much water I drink with how many pitstops I make  
My ambitions float around the car
Like prayers.

I will bake cookies every week
Organize my favorite music (including this song on the radio)
Mend my blue jeans
Make potholders from fabric scraps
Do Yoga every morning
Take long walks through the woods.

I will
Build a cold frame for a winter garden
Preserve the harvest in neatly sealed Ball jars
Look into starting a bee hive
 
I will write a book of recipes with stories and photographs to accompany each one
I’ll write a memoir about my year on a boat
Or a book about my father

Maybe if I get off at this rest stop with the autumn leaves and picnic tables and water bowls for dogs
I will begin to write, or draw plans for the cold frame, or knit
And there, next to the trucks and cars racing for home

My prayers will be answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment