Thursday, November 18, 2010

Schooled in Shakespeare

For most of my life I’ve been one of the many people put off by Shakespeare’s twisted old English, a tangle of unfamiliar words coming so quickly from the stage that I don’t have time to unwind them and get their meaning. Did people really talk like this? Or did Shakespeare deliberately obscure his meaning? All the words seem switched in order, with oddities dropped in here and there to further confuse me. I know if I study the play before I hit the theater, things will be clearer but I rarely feel up to the effort.

After seeing Macbeth – finally – I may have to change my mind. This month’s performance of the iconic play, done by the acting troupe at Montgomery Blair High School, was well worth the prep time I took to get to know the story (not much, actually: No Fear Shakespeare, the modern equivalent of Clif Notes, plus a crash course in the story from Clara, who was part of the cast). The tale of raw ambition coupled with doubt and moral struggle so deep it leads to madness truly speaks to the ugly side of our human condition. What could be more relevant in these times of scandal and greed? Does the lure of power ever really change?

Plus. This is one impressive high school drama program. The acting was great, the sets fantastic (arranging the performance Globe Theater-style, with a smaller stage than usual and the audience inches from the actors, was an especially brilliant move and made the experience much more intimate and impactful).

Yes, the cast was all kids—stage crew, too—and they are young. Which adds an intriguing element to the experience: I remember some of the actors from my days as a volunteer in their fourth grade class. But wow, some of them got some chops! Including my lovely daughter, Clara, who turned heads even in her small part(s) as an attendant(s). Seems that once she showed her competence and commitment, she was used again and again to carry baskets of linens or trays of cups across stage, a servant to the Macbeths; she even carried Lady Macbeth from stage when she fainted, and sobbed violently upon the news of King Duncan’s death. Yes, Clara, it was convincing!

Lady Macbeth was truly chilling, and Macbeth's famous monologue right on target: "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" (ah! I thought, this is from Macbeth?!?!) Macduff’s devastation after the death of his family was heart wrenching. The best part, though, was that I know these kids had a blast producing this play – and they get to do another one in the spring. No Shakespeare this time: we’ll get Guys and Dolls.

Can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment