Sunday, November 8, 2009

Cats and Dogs


The gingham dog and the calico cat
Side by side on the table sat
'Twas half-past twelve, and (what do you think!)
Nor one nor t'other had slept a wink!


Many people think it’s a cozy, sweet thing to work at a computer with a cat in your lap. And it is. I sit on the phone talking to Mr. Bigwig, typing away as he spools off quotes for the article I’m writing, and I’m happy to have finally caught him on the phone between appointments and important meetings and trips to the gym or whatever else he does. And all the while, I have this warm, living thing in my lap, purring away.

Until the dog comes in.

Nala the dog and Milky the cat are still working out how to be in the same room together. Things have gotten much better recently, which is why I kept the door to the office open on this particular day, risking an encounter while I am on the phone. Maybe not such a good idea.

It must be close to noon, when Nala usually goes out for a romp with her doggy friend down the street, so she is anxious for my attention, and begins to nose around my leg. Where the cat is curled up. I swivel in my chair, so the dog can’t reach the cat – but Nala just goes around to the other side. The phone is wedged between my ear and my shoulder and I’m trying not to let it slip, and trying to hear and type what Mr. Bigwig is saying, and trying to think of my next question, and trying to keep the dog from actually licking the cat and the cat from clawing the dog and possibly me.

After much furtive swiveling, the dog lets out a sharp yelp of frustration and I finally give up and ask Mr. Bigwig if he could please hold on one minute. He is a very approachable Bigwig, and says yes, of course. So I push what I think is the “hold” button on the phone, but it’s actually “flash,” meant for switching over to a second phone call, but there is no second phone call, just two animals ready to rumble. I have hung up on Mr. Bigwig. Somehow I manage to ease Milky off my lap and lead Nala back out of the room, close the door, discover my telephone mistake, and dial Mr. Bigwig to apologize for cutting him off.

I was having issues with my staff, I say.

2 comments:

  1. i'm amazed you get any work done, in addition to writing an awesome blog (and i usually hate blogs). any estimated date of tyler's arrival?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie
    Ty's expected first or second week of December, yay! The boys were in Mississippi last I knew (2-3 days ago), on their way to St. Augustine from a week of service projects in New Orleans. They're taking the train home from St. A. Are you on facebook? I'll post it there so you can see - not sure I'll blog on it right away

    Ginny
    p.s.: I must be blog-challenged -- I posted this return comment earlier but it didn't show up!

    ReplyDelete