Thursday, October 1, 2009

Real Clothes

Yes, it is a privilege to wear my pajamas while I work from my home office (best commute on the block, up the stairs and straight ahead). But there’s something about dressing for work that makes me feel more in charge, more inspired and motivated to act like a Real Working Person Out In The World. (other work-at-homers, you know what I mean.) This week, with a handful of appointments on my schedule, I got to strut around the streets of Bethesda in black, heeled boots, wide-legged grey pants and a great black sweater passed up to me by my daughter – I figure, if a 16-year-old deigned to wear it at some point, it’s gotta be stylish enough for Mama (especially since this particular 16-year-old is in the Fashion Club at school). The boost to my usually schlumpy demeanor elevated my mood (see Things My Teens Have Taught Me, #4) and made me want to scour the closet for more awesome outfits, or maybe even endure a day of shopping (stimulus overload!!!) to buy something new. At the very least, I am planning a trip to Value Village, our local thrift shop extraordinaire.

Yes, I have also been influenced by the documentary I just saw about Vogue Magazine – September Issue. What a great little glimpse into not only the world of fashion, but the world of ruthless editors who, dammit, are right despite their Frigidaire approach to slashing great ideas. This particular magazine is a world unto itself – I especially liked one short scene showing Editor Anna Wintour getting into her car (driven by someone else, of course) on a NY City street, where you can see real life all around her – paper cups and other trash blowing around in the gutter, dingy sidewalks and narrow lanes for vintage taxis bumping along beside her limo. The gritty scene underscores the contrast to the pristine world of fashion she’s created in the highrise offices of Vogue.

And even though I would never want to work for her, I do love her sunglasses. Maybe big is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment