Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Picture of Dorian Gray


Shocking. Moving. Thought-provoking. I know, it sounds like an ad for the play I saw last night, but really, it was all of those things and more. Like, full of artistry, from the writing to the acting, sets to lighting and even marketing (great flier, and yes, the lead really is a hunk).

The play, The Picture of Dorian Gray, at Round House Theatre, started out at an advantage, as I already loved the book (huge impact when I read it many years ago). The premise: a young man is so taken with his portrait that he wants to freeze his image, to stop time so that he’ll never age. Somehow he gets his wish, and is able to behave badly with no consequences (the usual wrinkles and old age illnesses and guilt-ridden eyes of the rest of us). Except his behavior is off the charts. It’s like Lord of the Flies, with 20-somethings. Kind of. And a fascinating consideration of what happens when we indulge our wildest impulses. What liberation! What a train wreck! Also loved the consideration of the arts: do music/painting/writing/stagecraft lead us to act or be a certain way? Or do they simply bring out what already lies within?

The bonus for me was that this was opening night, and a post-performance reception was packed with people – it felt like a party where I would enjoy getting to know just about anyone there. Among those I did get to chat with: James Kronzer, who designed the uber-cool set (and whose sets can be seen in many theaters around town, his creative approach and his steady work ethic inspire me); Sarah Pressler, who handles press for Round House and is always knowledgeable about upcoming productions; and Andy Torres, a dancer I met through, well, I’m not sure – Liz Lerman, Jane Franklin, Carla Perlo, Nancy Havilik, or possibly all three.

Plus, I got to have Clara on my arm, and she enjoyed the show as much as I did – despite the fact that it kept her up on a school night. She’s ready to recommend it to her entire drama class at Blair. Note for those with kids: A) tix are $10-$15 for people age 30 and under and B) there is a lot of risky business, including nudity.

No comments:

Post a Comment